With the Golden Globe, BAFTA and PGA in hand, Encanto is the favorite to win the Oscar in what’s been quite a turnaround in this category since the film’s soundtrack and songs took off on the U.S. Billboard charts. So much so that the Oscar show will have a production of the #1 hit “We Don’t Talk About Bruno,” which wasn’t even submitted for original song consideration.
The Mitchells vs the Machines has Critics’ Choice and the Annie but that’s not going to be enough to overtake Disney, nor will the Oscar history-making Flee, which won the Annie for independent animated film and the European Film Award (EFA).
Here are my final Oscar predictions for Animated Feature.
1. Encanto (Walt Disney) – GG, CCA, Annie, BAFTA, PGA
Jared Bush, Byron Howard, Yvett Merino and Clark Spencer
2. The Mitchells vs the Machines (Netflix) – CCA, Annie, BAFTA, PGA
Mike Rianda, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller and Kurt Albrecht
3. Flee (NEON) – GG, CCA, Annie (Indie), EFA, BAFTA
Jonas Poher Rasmussen, Monica Hellström, Signe Byrge Sørensen and Charlotte De La Gournerie
4. Luca (Walt Disney/Pixar) – GG, CCA, Annie, BAFTA, PGA
Enrico Casarosa and Andrea Warren
5. Raya and the Last Dragon (Walt Disney) – GG, CCA, Annie, PGA
Don Hall, Carlos López Estrada, Osnat Shurer and Peter Del Vecho