TIFF 2018 Women’s Rally, Free Screenings and Musical Performances
Festival Street promises four jam-packed days of free activities and a new rooftop party
Back for its fifth instalment, the excitement and fun of the Toronto International Film Festival pours out from the theatres onto Festival Street and all the way up to the rooftop of TIFF Bell Lightbox. On opening weekend, September 6 to 9, King Street West between Peter Street and University Avenue will transform into the TIFF street party.
“The excitement of Festival is something we want to share with the entire city,” said Cameron Bailey, Artistic Director of TIFF. “Festival Street is where everyone can enjoy and experience the excitement of the Festival and its celebration of film. Free screenings, great musical performances, and the impactful Share Her Journey Rally are just some of the highlights you can expect — and we invite everyone to join us.”
SHARE HER JOURNEY RALLY
Stand up for change with TIFF on the morning of Saturday, September 8 for the Share Her Journey Rally. All who want to see and be part of real change in the film industry are invited to join the action down on John Street at the Slaight Music Stage at 10am. With the support of partners ReFrame, TIME’S UP, and #AfterMeToo, we will hear from thought leaders and inspirational guests including:
- Dr. Stacy L. Smith, Founder and Director of the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, the leading global
think tank studying issues of inequality in entertainment;
- Amanda Brugel, actor;
- Keri Putnam, Executive Director of Sundance Institute;
- Mia Kirshner, actor, and co-founder of #AfterMeToo;
- Amma Asante, filmmaker (Belle, United Kingdom, and Where Hands Touch)
- Cathy Schulman, President, Welle Entertainment;
- Nandita Das, filmmaker (Firaaq, Manto) and actor;
- Zavia Forrest, TIFF Next Wave Committee member
The unforgettable morning will begin and wrap up with performances by Molly Johnson and Shakura S’Aida.
RSVP at shareherjourney.org/rally to join the event.
MORE MOVIES AND MUSIC FOR FREE
The beating heart of Festival Street is the people of Toronto — and to say thank you to our great community, TIFF has partnered with the TTC once again to express some of that gratitude. Through this partnership, TIFF and the TTC are helping film fans get even more access to great movies for FREE. Street teams are set to distribute free Festival and TIFF Bell Lightbox tickets, culminating in a special TTC Free Screening at Roy Thomson Hall on September 9. This Festival event is open to all TTC riders — just bring your Metropass or PRESTO card for entry!*
There is something for everyone to participate in on Festival Street. This year, in honour of some of the film industry’s trailblazing women, audiences are invited to catch a free, 30th-anniversary screening of Penny Marshall’s classic, Big, starring Tom Hanks as a kid who wishes he was grown up. Attendees can also listen to great music from Kayla Diamond and other up-and-coming talent on the Slaight Music Stage. For full lineup details, visit tiff.net.
Visitors are also welcome to grab a drink at one of the extended patios, sample delicious treats from an array of food trucks, and have fun with the many engaging partner activations. Last year, Festival Street saw 150,000 visitors in its four days and was a driving force behind increased revenue for local businesses.
*Free tickets can be reserved online, while quantities last. The TTC Free Screening may be Rushed. Tickets will be issued to the Rush line approximately 10 minutes before the start of the screening based on availability. There is a limit of one ticket per person with proof of a Metropass or PRESTO Card. Please arrive as soon as possible to join the Rush line.
REFINERY29 FESTIVAL ROOFTOP
Festival Street reaches new heights this year with the introduction of the Refinery29 Festival Rooftop, an intimate and interactive space that offers exciting and new Festival experiences, combined with an unmissable after-party on the top floor of TIFF Bell Lightbox. At the event, you can:
- Enter the whirlwind of Festival with a clear mind and a sense of calm thanks to MISFITSTUDIO’s movement session The Calm Before the Storm: A Mindful Festival Kickoff. Stretch next to talent including Amanda Crew (Freaks, Silicon Valle ) and hear advice from a panel of lifestyle experts and guests from the film world;
- Check out a live taping of Refinery29’s popular Facebook Live pop culture and entertainment show The Mention with a spotlight on the film Life Itself;
- Celebrate homegrown talent at Toronto on the Rise, an intimate panel and meet-and-greet with some of the city’s brightest up-and-coming stars, including Stephan James (If Beale Street Could Talk, Homecoming ), Shamier Anderson (Destroyer), Lamar Johnson (The Hate U Give), Jess Salgueiro (Workin’ Moms, MOUTHPIECE) and Mouna Traoré (In Contempt, American Gods), hosted by eTalk’s Traci Melchor;
- Take part in an interactive panel and workshop on The Magic of Movie Makeup, where attendees can learn makeup tips for everyday use from celebrity makeup artist Lucky Bromhead (Schitt’s Creek) and listen to insider tricks for special effects from prosthetic makeup masters Jordan Samuel (The Shape of Water, Crimson Peak, Pacific Rim) and Sean Sansom (The Shape of Water, IT, Carrie). All audience participants will receive a L’Oréal Paris gift at the end of the session.
At nightfall, TIFF Bell Lightbox’s rooftop will play host to the Official TIFF After-Party, presented by nightlife legends 1 OAK and in partnership with Oliver & Bonacini.
Tickets for rooftop events will go on sale to TIFF Members starting August 23 (by level). Non-Members may purchase tickets starting September 3, based on availability.
The 43rd Toronto International Film Festival runs from September 6 to 16, 2018.