This is where Dune should be able to clean up quite easily, especially in visual effects. As the only Best Picture nominee and with the most awarded and respected vfx of the season, it’s path should be clear as we don’t have an Ex Machina to get in the way.
Makeup and Hairstyling should still be Dune’s to lose but this might be a bit harder. Again, it’s the only Best Picture nominee of the bunch, which used to be an easy way to lock this in (same for vfx until Ex Machina), but keep an eye out for The Eyes of Tammy Faye here. Being attached to a Best Actress nominee certainly helped last year when Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom won Or even Cruella, with its costume design nomination, which Ma Rainey also won, incidentally.
Precursor Watch: the Makeup and Hairstyling guild awards are February 19, the Visual Effects Society’s awards are March 8 and both BAFTA and Critics’ Choice are March 13. Oscar winner voting is March 17-22.
Here are my ranked 2022 Oscar winner predictions in Makeup & Hairstyling and Visual Effects for February.
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
1. Dune (Warner Bros/HBO Max) – CCA, BAFTA, MUAH (2x)
Donald Mowat, Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
2. The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Searchlight Pictures) – CCA, BAFTA, MUAH (3x)
Linda Dowds, Stephanie Ingram and Justin Raleigh
3. Cruella (Walt Disney) – CCA, BAFTA, MUAH (2x)
Nadia Stacey, Naomi Donne and Julia Vernon
4. House of Gucci (MGM/UAR) – CCA, BAFTA, MUAH (3x)
Göran Lundström, Anna Carin Lock and Frederic Aspiras
5. Coming 2 America (Amazon Studios) – MUAH (3x)
Mike Marino, Stacey Morris and Carla Farmer
1. Dune (Warner Bros/HBO Max) – CCA, BAFTA, VES (6x)
Paul Lambert, Tristan Myles, Brian Connor and Gerd Nefzer
2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Walt Disney/Marvel Studios) – CCA, Annie, VES (4x)
Christopher Townsend, Joe Farrell, Sean Noel Walker and Dan Oliver
3. Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony Pictures/Marvel Studios) – VES (3x)
Kelly Port, Chris Waegner, Scott Edelstein and Dan Sudick
4. Free Guy (20th Century Studios) – BAFTA
Swen Gillberg, Bryan Grill, Nikos Kalaitzidis and Dan Sudick
5. No Time to Die (MGM/UAR) – BAFTA, VES
Charlie Noble, Joel Green, Jonathan Fawkner and Chris Corbould