2022 Society of Composers & Lyricists nominations: ‘Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio’ leads
The Society of Composers & Lyricists has announced the nominations for their 4th SCL Awards for film and television and Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio leads with two nods: Outstanding Score for a Studio Film and Outstanding Song for a Musical/Comedy for “Ciao Papa.” Both the score, by Alexandre Deplat, and the song, by Roeban Katz, Desplat and del Toro, made the Oscar shortlists in their respective categories this week as well as Critics’ Choice and Golden Globe nominations earlier this month.
Other Oscar-shortlisted scores that earned SCL nominations today were The Banshees of Inisherin (Carter Burwell), Nope (Michael Abels), Everything Everywhere All At Once (Ryan Lott) and Don’t Worry Darling (John Powell). The scores from The Batman (Michael Giacchino) and The Whale (Rob Simonsen) were also nominated by the SCL.
Outstanding Song contenders included “Good Afternoon” from Spirited, “Applause” from Tell It Like a Woman, “Carolina” from Where the Crawdads Sing, “Hold My Hand” from Top Gun: Maverick and “Lift Me Up” from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
In television, the scores for Andor, Only Murders in the Building, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, Severance and The White Lotus were recognized.
Final Voting Round opens on January 9, 2023 and closes on February 6, 2023. The SCL will present the 4th Annual SCL Awards for score and songs in visual media on February 15, 2023 at the Skirball Cultural Center and hosted by Award-winning Actor, Singer, Songwriter Darren Criss.
Here is the full list of nominees.
OUTSTANDING SCORE FOR A STUDIO FILM:
- ALEXANDRE DESPLAT – GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO
- CARTER BURWELL – BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
- MICHAEL ABELS – NOPE
- MICHAEL GIACCHINO – THE BATMAN
- JOHN POWELL – DON’T WORRY DARLING
OUTSTANDING SCORE FOR AN INDEPENDENT FILM:
- LEO BIRENBERG, ZACH ROBINSON – WEIRD: THE AL YANKOVIC STORY
- SHARON FARBER – BRAINWASHED: SEX-CAMERA-POWER
- RYAN LOTT – EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
- ROB SIMONSEN – THE WHALE
- MARK SMYTHE – THE REEF: STALKED
OUTSTANDING SONG FOR A MUSICAL/COMEDY:
- ALEXANDRE DESPLAT, ROEBAN KATZ, GUILLERMO DEL TORO – “CIAO PAPA” FROM GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO
- KHIYON HURSEY, SUKARI JONES, BENJ PASEK, JUSTIN PAUL, MARK SONNENBLICK – “GOOD AFTERNOON” FROM SPIRITED
- DANNY ELFMAN – “LIGHT THE MATCH” FROM CENTRAL PARK
- BILLY EICHNER, MARC SHAIMAN – “LOVE IS NOT LOVE” FROM BROS
- WEIRD AL YANKOVIC - “NOW YOU KNOW” FROM WEIRD: THE AL YANKOVIC STORY
OUTSTANDING SONG FOR A DRAMA/DOCUMENTARY
- DIANE WARREN – “APPLAUSE” FROM TELL IT LIKE A WOMAN
- TAYLOR SWIFT – “CAROLINA” FROM WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING
- LADY GAGA, BLOODPOP – “HOLD MY HAND” FROM TOP GUN: MAVERICK
- TEMS, RIHANNA, LUDWIG GÖRANSSON, RYAN COOGLER – “LIFT ME UP” FROM BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
- TRENT REZNOR, ATTICUS ROSS – “(YOU MADE IT FEEL LIKE) HOME” FROM BONES AND ALL
OUTSTANDING SCORE FOR TELEVISION:
- NICHOLAS BRITELL – ANDOR
- SIDDHARTHA KHOSLA – ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING
- BEAR MCCREARY – THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER
- THEODORE SHAPIRO – SEVERANCE
- CRISTOBAL TAPIA DE VEER – THE WHITE LOTUS
OUTSTANDING SCORE FOR INTERACTIVE MEDIA:
- NAINITA DESAI – IMMORTALITY
- STEPHANIE ECONOMOU – ASSASSIN’S CREED VALHALLA: DAWN OF RAGNARÖK
- BEAR MCCREARY – GOD OF WAR RAGNARÖK
- WINIFRED PHILLIPS – JURASSIC WORLD PRIMAL OPS
- CHRISTOPHER WILIIS – CAT BURGLAR
DAVID RAKSIN AWARD FOR EMERGING TALENT:
- DARA TAYLOR – THE INVITATION
- ANNA DRUBICH – BARBARIAN
- DEANDRE JAMES ALLEN-TOOLE – GOD’S COUNTRY
- ESIN AYDINGOZ – SIMCHAS AND SORROWS
- NAMI MELUMAD – STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS